Sunday 18 March 2012

Task 5b - Codes of Practice and Regulations

In my previous post, Task 5a, I stated what I initially thought were the codes and regulations regarding my professional practice; identifying their ethical values as personal, professional and/or organisational.

I have since consulted 'The Council for Dance Education and Training (CDET)' website, and researched it's code of conduct. The dance school I teach in is a registered 'British Theatre Dance Association (BTDA)' school; as BTDA is a Dance Awarding Organisation validated (accredited) by the Council, this is the recommended 'Code of Professional Conduct and Practice'.

The majority of the regulations I had covered, but I have listed a few regulations that I either didn't consider or that differ from my assumptions:

- Integrity
  - Work in a collaborative and co-operative manner with other dance professionals and       
    organisations
I had concentrated on the school as an independent establishment and  not considered the communication teachers encounter with other schools and professionals in and outside the organisation.

  - Not attempt to influence or intimidate any examiner at any examination or a judge at a competition.
To not adhere to this would be extremely unfair and unethical on a personal, professional and organisational level.

Publicity
Advertising isn't something I gave any thought to, however after reading this section of the code of practice I realised the promotion of a dance school has a lot of ethical implications to consider. There is a lot of reference made to being 'consistant with the dignity of the profession' and 'not making disparaging comparisons or depreciating the reputation of any colleague'. This lends itself to the codes regarding working cooperatively with other professionals. To tarnish or 'bad-mouth' another professional or their services in order to promote your business, is not only breaking a large number of regulations and acting completely unethically; but it would also appear very unprofessional, reflecting badly on yourself and your school.

Data Protection
The eight principles of the Data Protection Act 1998 are summarised in the code of practice. Confidentiality has been very poignant in the planning of my inquiry; the protection of collected data and the confidentiality of the participants. However the protection of data recorded by dance teachers concerning students isn't something I automatically considered. In regards to my professional practice, the data collected isn't always written or recorded; it may be observations made mentally or behaviour issues dealt with in a lesson. Even though this information does not refer to the personal data of a student e.g. medical conditions, etc ..  and disscussing it wouldn't necessarily break the Data Protection Act; it must always be dealt with confidentially e.g, not discussing the information with anyone (other than your employer of the relevant colleagues). To not do so would professionally unethical.

Statutory Requirements
Including: registration of names, tax, copyright, public performance etc... These requirements are in accordance to the law, and would be the same in any code of practice; all part of the professional ethical obligations that come with owning a business. Although these requirements don't come into the responsibilities of my role in my current professional practice; regarding my future career plans to own my own dance school, I would have to do extensive research into this area as I presently have very little knowledge in it.

The full code of practice I have been referring to can be found at:
http://www.cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct/

I found it really useful and it definatly made clear how the regulations provided can help create an ethically sound working environment. So check it out!!!

Is this similar to your 'Code of Practice'? Are there any areas you feel it doesn't cover? Are there any regulations you weren't aware you had to adhere to?  
Please comment and let me know what you think.....

Lizzie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lizzie,

    It seems that the BTDA has lots of useful information for you to follow. As a self employed teacher I often feel like the responsibility all lies with me, do you ever feel this way?

    It is our responsibility to look at these codes of conduct and really think about our Personal/Professional Ethics and how we want to instill theses Ethics within our lessons.

    I feel that if I were employed full time by a company I would have many more 'Organisation' ethics to follow, however I simply have to gage the 'feel' of the institute and trust that my Personal/Professional ethics fit with the ethos of the school I am teaching in. Can you relate at all?

    I had never thought about the idea of observations being 'data collected' and this is a really interesting point. Perhaps it doesn't seem as 'official' because it isn't documented. However, you are so correct that this obsrvation should still remain confidential and should only be discussed in the correct context with the right people.

    It seems that the BTDA and CDET have similar 'Codes of Practice' which is good. It is nice to see they are singing from the same hymn sheet if you understand me? It is often when similar organisation bodies disagree when ethical problems really start to arise.

    Look forward to reading your task 5C :)

    ReplyDelete