Wednesday 14 March 2012

Task 5a - Ethics within my Professional Practice

When teaching dance to children in a private dance school setting, there are a large number or personal, professional and organisational ethics which come into practice. Based on my own thoughts alone, without reference to any documents or discussions; here are my views on the ethics and 'codes of practice/regulations which guide the setting' (Module 2 BAPP Handbook, Middlesex University):

P - Personal Ethics (personal/family values, religion, conscience, morality ...)
PR - Professional Ethics (code of conduct, profession specific expectations ...)
O - Organisational Ethics (e.g. 'how things are done around here')

- Punctuality; always arriving before the children, in good time to set up and prepare for the class (P, PR,)
- Dressing appropriately (considering health and safety/ professional appearance) to teach a physical dance  
  class (P, PR, O)
- Reliable and conscientious; enthusiastic, friendly and approachable manor (P, PR)
- Having a qualification or proficient knowledge (to a high level/standard) in the dance discipline I am
  teaching (PR)
- Being aware of the health and safety procedures for the venue and organisation, e.g. fire exits, appropriate
  flooring, adequate ventilation/heating, toilet facilities, hydration breaks for children, etc... (PR, O)
- First-aid. Having a first-aid qualification myself (which I don't currently have) or knowing who the
  qualified first-aider on site is (PR, O)
- Being fully CRB checked if I am teaching a class independently (PR)
- Delivering a high standard of teaching so children are able to progress and improve (PR)
- Awareness of when/which children are struggling and offering appropriate support and coaching (PR)
- Communicating appropriately and professionally with children, parents and colleagues (P, PR)
- Inform my employer (owner of the dance school) of any social or welfare issues concerning a child I
  might be concerned about (PR, O)

One ethical issue that was brought to my attention recently was respecting the personal ethics of the children. The children were performing in the dance school's annual show and one of the performances was a
Sunday matinee. Due to one of the children's (and their family's) religious beliefs; Sunday being the sabbath day, for resting; she refused to perform in the Sunday show. Although this caused a lot of alterations and extra rehearsals for the teachers and other children (as the child was heavily involved in the show), as a professional I had to respect the child's and her family's personal ethics; reassuring them that it was not a problem and she could obviously still participate in the other performances. This involved personal, professional and organisational ethical consideration.

These are just my initial thoughts and the kind of regulations and ethical issues I come across day-to-day. Do you think there are any major factors I haven't considered? Are these the kind of ethics you pratice in your work?

This task and the information in the reader have really got my thinking about the correct policies and procedures relating to my professional practice. I will soon be starting to teach dance and movement in a huge range of primary schools (approx 32), so looking into relevant legislation and statutory sources will be something I will defiantly be doing!!! 

Let me know your thoughts .....

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lizzie,

    I like the division you made into P, PR and O-Ethics. This makes it a lot clearer and visualizes that private and professional ethics are mixed together. I do have the feeling that ethics are a little bit based on the character of each and also on other factors like religion. I think we have to respect the decisions which are made based on religion or other convictions. In my company we have very clear rules and guidelines for our ethical behaviour. Sometimes this is helpful because everybody knows these rules and trying to follow them. But of course it isn't this easy to behave and think all the time in this guidelines. What do you think is better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katharina

    I totally agree that everyone's personal ethics, e.g, religion, should ALWAYS be respected. I am not religious but I would still expect people to respect any other of my personal ethics, just as I would respect theirs. Although the health and safety terms of any contract or code of conduct MUST be taken into consideration at all times. I think having a very clear set of guidelines regarding ethical behaviour is really good. I have just been reading and commenting on Emily Brenchley's Task 5b post - she raises the point that in a lot of contracts 'ethics' and 'ethical behaviour' either doesn't get much of a mention or is a very grey area. I suppose any ethical code would still be interpreted differently by different people according to your own values. But having clear boundaries must help to prevent possible issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzie,
    thank you for your answer. Can I post a extract from your comment on my Blog? Bw, Katharina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Kathrina. Yes of course you can x

      Delete