Monday 20 February 2012

Module 2: Principles of Professional Inquiry - Task 4a

After reading through Reader 4 and attempting to brainstorm some ideas and issues for inquiry, I found myself torn as to which avenue to take. I am both a teacher and performer. Looking at my career at present and on a short-term basis, although I am still teaching, my priority lies with performance opportunities; however in the future I plan to commit fully to teaching and owning my own dance school business.

Through reading other's posts and the related comments and advice I understand we should avoid looking too far into future plans regarding issues and inquiry. But for me teaching is a constant in my currently unpreditable life. Although an inquiry into the performance element of my practice would help 'to  
investigate and sustain successful practice or define more personal issues';I feel sometimes in the performance industry there is no rhyme or reason to how, when, why or who gets a job. From personal and second-hand experience it can be the most trivial of reasons. I have however decided to use my professional training and performance experience to 'look at my (teaching) practice in a new way' and steer my inquiry in the teaching direction. I feel the 'solutions' and clarity that may result from an inquiry in this area would prove more useful to my professional practice and hopefully may provide new ways of approaching my peformance practice too. 

Here are a list of questions that sprung to mind:

- Is dancing from a young age a good way to instill discipline into children? Does it have an impact on their
behaviour in other areas of life?

- Should the emphasis in dance teaching be steered more toward technique or performance and personality?

- Can performance be taught or is it a natural talent?

- Does attending dance/musical theatre lessons provide children with more confidence?

 - The more commited and enthusiastic the parents; the more commited and enthusiastic the child?

 - Does attending a fulltime stage/dance school improve a child's opportunity for a successful performing career?

- Are more academic children more likely to be better dancers/performers?

- How do you keep children coming to class and keep them enthusiastic about what they're doing (especially when practicing grade and syllabus work)?

- Is exam and syllabus work vital to improving childrens tehnique? How do you keep them motivated when they are a long way from achieving their next exam?

- How many children ever actually reach their full potential?

- Is it sometimes a good idea to have mixed ablility classes? Does this give the weaker children more to aspire to or make them feel immidated? Would they work harder to improve of fall behind?

- As a teacher should you push children you see potential in or treat every child equally?

- Is it enevitable you will have pupils who are favourites? Will children pick up on this?

These are my intial thoughts anyway. Has been really helpful and and got my thinking reading all your posts.

Pleeeeaaaassssee comment and let me know what you think!!!




  

9 comments:

  1. Hi lizzie I feel that your inquires are like mine and I think we would benefit being in the same SIG groups. I would like to teach children with learning difficulties.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie

      Yes definatly would benifit from being in the same SIG - do you know how we go about setting them up???

      That sounds great - my sister is training to be a primary school teacher and had just finished a placement teaching children with learning difficulties (I know it's not quite the same as teaching them dance) but she's found it really rewarding and a great experience!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lizzie.
    Please, please, please read my questions so you know that we are literally going through exactly the same thought process, down to the benefits of dance to children and how to keep a child enthusiastic. My boss who I teach for asked me recently whether if I had a child or a girl whether I would encourage a career in dance or performing if that is what she wanted to do... I love performing but I honestly didn't know what to say. It is encouraging to me to me that you are so confident in taking the pure teaching route for your inquiry. I am 80% sure I will be doing the same but I'm still working around a way to link performing and teaching... I'm determined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica

      I'm reading your questions now so I'll comment on that post of your blog!

      I know we seem to have exactly the same train of thought! Really nice to know. Would be really interested to see how you link teaching and performing in your inquiry - would be really useful for me!

      I presume we'll definaty be in the same SIG - when it says in task 2 to set one up how do we do that?? Using wiki? Could we make a facebook group or can we do it on your blogs??? Let me know if you have any idea :)

      Right I shall get on with commenting on your questions!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lizzie,

    I can see a lot of similarities in your initial lines of inquiry with mine.
    I have recently changed my career path due to new life circumstances (I am getting married :)) and am now focusing fully on a career in teaching.
    My ideas are centering around the idea of full time training, like sylvia Young's as opposed to after school classes. What are the advantages/disadvantages?
    Do children who attend full time theatre schools lose their passions more quickly or is it just that they have a more realistic view instilled at an early age?
    As a teacher, you want to give your students the best possible chances, but it is career versus life experience!!
    I am finding this really interesting and I hope we can be in the same SIG?? I
    If you read my Task 4a, one of my questions raises the issue of having more 'professional classes' at a part time school. This links with your question about mixed ability classes.
    I like to think that as a teacher we can tell when a child needs/wants to pushed and when they are simply happy to be tap springing at the back of the class. Perhaps it is our responsibility as teachers to nuture in the right way for each child?? No-one said being a teacher was easy :)
    Please take a look at my questions and see if you think we should be part of the same SIG.

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo

      Firstly CONGRATULATIONS!!! Thats lovely news - bet your so excited to be engaged! And secondly yes I definatly think we should be in the same SIG our inquiries look like they're going to be really similar - especially the points you have just mentioned about full time training opposed to after school classes.

      Do you know how to start a SIG??? Or have you already? Please let me know :)

      I will go and comment on your questions now!! xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi Lizzie,
      I'm not entirely sure how we set up an SIG group? perhaps we have to decide ourselves what media to use, i.e facebook etc..
      I've made a couple of new posts and after initial research and questionning I decided that it was going to be very difficult to do an inquiry on something that didnt really have an answer (see 'developing questions' blog). I now want to focus on 'How to best prepare someone for full time Musical Theatre training?'.
      I completely agree, our inquiries run along a very similar line and we would be able to support each other a lot throughout the process.
      I am going to take the time to look at your questions in more detail and answer properly and I will be in touch soon.
      Take care :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lizzie,

    You have some really good questions about dancing from a professional point of view.

    your second question should the emphasis of teaching dance be steered towards technique, performance and personality. I think the answer is all three.

    Technique is very important but if you can't perform in a audition then you won't get noticed. I feel personality and performance are the same thing. You have to connect to who you are to be able to express yourself to the audience or casting panel.
    I think teaching technique first then performance skills second.

    Can performance be taught ? I think the answer is yes, with the right teacher who can tap in to the student so they are able to express their emotions comfortably.
    Then in time it will be a natural expression of how they dance.

    You have given me some inspiration for my question which I am still in the process of doing.

    Thanks
    Charlie B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lizzie,

    So I have had the chance to read your questions in a little more detail and it has doubly confirmed that we are definitely in the same SIG.

    My thoughts...

    I think Performing Arts in general, particularly dance lessons, are a great way to instill discipline from an early age. I truly believe that children not only need but want discipline. It gives them a structure and a stable that they can rely on. In this way discipline is taught in a safe and fun environment, therefore hopefully the child responds more and doesn't resent the rules and restrictions that are presented.

    With regards to children being more enthusiastic if the parents are, I don't think this is the case. Often it is the children with the 'pushy' parents who give up as the pressure is unwanted and also unnecessary. My parents were always supportive, but never pushy. They were never the parents backstage at a show or making the costumes, but they always took an interest, drove me to classes, listened to my lines etc.. I think the right balance is so important! To do well you definitely need supportive parents (or at least it definitely makes things a lot easier), however you do not need the added pressure that comes with 'pushy' parents!

    Your question regarding full time training really stuck with me, as my initial questionning focused on this in particular (although I have now digressed from this slightly). I discussed my questions with all my relevant professional contacts and asked them whether it is better for a child to attend after school classes or full time training. There was no definitive answer!! What is right for one child will not be right for another. Some people who attend schools such as Sylvia's wil go on to have very successful careers, as will some children who attended part time after school classes and vice versa. What I did discover from my questionning is that Full time schools definitely prepare the children for the industry in which they will inevitably be working in. A friend of mine who trained at Sylvia's said 'we knew it would be tough and we were prepared for this, but we were also given the skills and technique so that we would be prepared for this.' For me this comment summed it all up!

    And finally, how much should we push our students? As I said previously, it is our job as teachers to know when to push the students. If you see a child has real potential and seriously wants to make this more of a career choice, then it is our job to recognise this and do all we can to prepare them for this choice. With the same token, we should know when a child doesn't need or want to be pushed, if they are happy to do it for fun :) A teacher of mine, who also teaches many children some whom attend part time classes and others who attend full time schools, said that a child should be given the freedom to explore lots of different avenues. They will decide when it is right for them. For some children this may be at an early age, others it may take longer. But until they are sure on their choice then let them explore lots of different avenues :)

    Looking forward to sharing more with you and developing our lines of inquiry :)

    ReplyDelete